We have expertise in stem cell biology, especially mesenchymal stem cells, tissue engineering, biomaterials, cell-biomaterial interactions, mechanical stimulation of cell cultures (for example vibration loading, cell stretching), signal transduction in stem cell differentiation, especially osteogenic and adipogenic differentiation.
We are interested in studying how cell adhesion and cytoskeletal arrangements affect stem cell behavior, i.e. proliferation, migration and differentiation. In addition we are interested in new methodologies to study mechanobiology of cells and tissues and how pathological conditions affect cells. Especially we would like to learn imaging techniques to analyze cell adhesion, cell migration and cytoskeletal arrangements on biomaterial surfaces.
1. Vanhatupa S, Ojansivu M, Autio R, Juntunen M, Miettinen S. Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 Induces Donor-Dependent Osteogenic and Adipogenic Differentiation in Human Adipose Stem Cells. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2015 Dec;4(12):1391-402.
2. Ojansivu M, Vanhatupa S, Björkvik L, Häkkänen H, Kellomäki M, Autio R, Ihalainen JA, Hupa L, Miettinen S. Bioactive Glass Ions as Strong Enhancers of Osteogenic Differentiation in Human Adipose Stem Cells. Acta Biomater. 2015 Jul 15;21:190-203.
3. Sartoneva R, Haaparanta AM, Lahdes-Vasama T, Mannerström B, Kellomäki M, Salomäki M, Sándor GK, Suuronen R, Miettinen S, Haimi S. Characterizing and optimizing poly-L-lactide-co-e-caprolactone (PLCL) membranes for urothelium tissue engineering. J R Soc Interface. 2012 Dec 7;9(77):3444-54.
4. Sarkanen J-R, Kaila V, Lindroos B, Räty S, Kuokkanen H, Miettinen S and Ylikomi T. Human adipose tissue extract induces angiogenesis and adipogenesis in vitro. Tissue Eng Part A. 2012 Jan;18(1-2):17-25.
5. Tirkkonen L, Halonen H, Hyttinen J, Kuokkanen H, Sievänen H, Koivisto AM, Mannerström B, Sándor GK, Suuronen R, Miettinen S, Haimi S. The effects of vibration loading on adipose stem cell number, viability and differentiation towards bone-forming cells. J R Soc Interface. 2011 Dec 7;8(65):1736-47.
9-11 September 2019, Trnava, Slovakia